MS Outlook is one of the major means of email communication. With its variety of features from task reminder, notes, calendar events it maintain a lots of data. large amount of data may cause error in Outlook and effect its performance. Here we will discuss some common Outlook errors and how to fix them.
Some of the common Outlook error codes and there solution
Error 1. If outlook shows dialog box “Cannot open your default e-mail folders. The information store could not be opened.” This Outlook error may be due to compatibility issue. It can be fixed easily by following steps.
- Locate the Outlook.exe file in your system, it could be in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office **version** directory (office 14, 15, 16, 12).
- Right Click on Outlook.exe and select properties
- Go to compatibility tab and check mark ‘Run this program in compatibility mode’
- Click Ok button and restart MS outlook.
Error 2. Outlook cannot open personal folders or these folders are not visible in Outlook
The Personal folder error is most common faced by users. It could be fixed up with Inbox Repair tool or Scanpst.exe. Manipulation in File Structure is the common cause of this problem. This tool scans Outlook data file .pst and .ost and reset file structure. The inbox Repair tool also rebuild headers and resolve ‘Cannot open your default e-mail folder’.
Error 3. Error Message showing “Your Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable” or “Your network adapter does not have a default gateway”
Common issue with these outlook errors is configuration of Outlook profile. The default gateway problem is caused if Outlook profile is manually configured, the other is caused if profile is automatically configured. It can be fixed as
- Go to Start and open the run window
- Now type regedit in the run box and click ok. Regedit window will open
- Now search for HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice14.0OutlookRPC
- Go to edit menu select NEW and click DWORD Value.
- Type DefConnectOpts, and hit ENTER button
- Right-click DefConnectOpts, and then on Modify
- Type O in Value data box and finally Ok.
Error 4. MAPI Error or error code 0x8007000E
DLL (Dynamic Link Library) files of Outlook are prone to error. If Mapi32.dll file is corrupt then you can get the error message 0x8007000E. it generally occurs if Outlook doesn’t get enough resources to run from OS.
Solution: You can try closing some running programs in windows. If that doesn’t work out then use MAPI Repair Tool (Fixmapi.exe). Run Fixmapi.exe tool and restart Outlook.
Error 5. Server does not support authentication method
It mainly occurs when we use outlook from different system on different locations. It comes from authentication rules for the SMTP server.
- Open Outlook>>File>>Account Settings
- Select more settings and then Outgoing Server tab
- Uncheck options that reads “My outgoing server requires authentication” and “Log on to incoming mail server before sending mail”.
To prevent errors in MS outlook
- Login properly with conditions as per Outlook
- Organise Outlook mail folder properly and maintain file structure
- Regularly scan files for any virus or malware